As many as 168 jawans attached to the Central Reserve Police Force camp at Pallipuram were taken ill due to suspected food poisoning, prompting authorities to order a board of inquiry into the matter.
The jawans had their dinner around 7.15 pm on Saturday night and after a few minutes they complained of uneasiness. The personnel were shifted to hospitals after they showed symptoms of vomiting, headache and stomach cramps, a senior CRPF official said.
“We rushed the people to our hospital at the camp and later took them to various hospitals,” he said.
All the jawans, except about 50, were treated as out patients, he said.
According to Trivandrum Medical college hospital, 111 patients were admitted there and their condition was stable.
Initial investigations suggested that the jawans fell ill after consuming fish curry, the official said, adding the fish had been sourced from a nearby market.
“A board of inquiry was ordered today and the report is expected in 7-8 days,” the official said.
While media reports quoting police had stated that at least 400 jawans attached to the camp had taken ill due to suspected food poisoning, CRPF has clarified that only 168 had showed symptoms of vomiting, headache and stomach cramps.
CRPF has lodged a police complaint and food security officials have also collected samples of the food consumed.
State Health Minister K K Shylaja had visited the jawans at the hospital on Saturday night.
The medical college hospital said all but two of the 111 jawans admitted had been discharged by this afternoon as their condition became stable.
Since the condition of two jawans – Sridar, 25, and Kumarasway, 21, -- was not satisfactory, they have not yet been discharged, the hospital said in a release.
Image only for representation.