» News » Clashes in Kashmir, curfew lifted in many areas

Clashes in Kashmir, curfew lifted in many areas

Source: PTI
Last updated on: July 31, 2016 00:47 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Fresh clashes broke out between protesters and security forces on Saturday in several parts of Kashmir as authorities lifted curfew in the Valley, except parts of Srinagar city and towns of Anatnag and Pampore. 

Nearly a dozen persons were injured in the violence, a police official said.

A group of protesters started a march from Shopian town at around 5 pm and as they reached near a police camp, some miscreants started pelting stones on the police installation, the official said.

Three persons including a woman were injured in retaliatory action by the police. All the injured were referred to hospitals here for treatment.

There were reports of clashes at several places in the Valley during the day but the situation remained by and large under control, the official said.

Nine persons were injured in the clashes, the official said, adding the condition of all the injured was stated to be stable.

Since July 8, 48 people have died while more than 5,600 have been injured in the clashes between protesters and security forces when Hizbul Mujahideen Commander Burhan Wani was killed in an encounter.

A police official said curfew was lifted from most parts of the Valley today but restrictions on assembly of four or more persons continued in entire Kashmir.

"Curfew is in place only in five police station areas of Srinagar city -- Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal and Maharajgunj, Anantnag town and Pampore town," he said.

Authorities had on Friday imposed curfew and restrictions across Kashmir to thwart a call by separatist camp for march to historic Jamia Masjid. More than 100 persons including 46 security personnel were injured in the clashes reported from at least 70 places across the Valley. 

Mobile internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where the postpaid mobile telephony services have been restored across all networks.

The incoming facility on prepaid connections has also been restored, but the outgoing calls are barred on such numbers.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed elsewhere in the Valley for the 22nd consecutive day today in view of the strike call given by the separatist camp.

Schools, colleges and business establishments remained closed due to the strike while public transport remained off roads. Attendance in government offices was very thin, the official said.

The separatist camp has extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till August 5, calling for march to Hazratbal shrine on Friday.

In a related incident, a motorcyclist died due to wire laid on the road for blocking traffic allegedly by protesters in Budgam district on Friday.

Abdul Ahad Ganai and his son were on motorcycle at Hardapunzu in Beerwah area of Budgam district when it hit the wire. The father-son duo were injured in the accident but Ganai later succumbed to injuries, a police spokesman said.

He said the barricades were erected by miscreants.

Photograph: Umar Ganie

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI© Copyright 2021 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
The War Against Coronavirus

The War Against Coronavirus