Mother Teresa withdrew permission for Lapierre film
The controversy over the film on Mother
Teresa took a new turn on Wednesday with the
disclosure that she had withdrawn permission for the film
seven years ago.
The Missionaries of Charity clarified that a contract had been
signed between the Nobel laureate and French writer Dominique Lapierre
to make a film on her life and work. However, the
Mother later withdrew permission for the enterprise.
Sunita Kumar, a close associate of Mother Teresa, said
the Mother had withdrawn permission for the film, and hence the contract
with Lapierre was not binding.
The swift clarification from the Missionaries of Charity came following Lapierre's statement to Star News on Tuesday evening that the Mother had signed the contract with him and his wife on December 29, 1982.
Kumar said Mother Teresa wrote to Lapierre on
November 7, 1990, saying, "After much prayer and after giving this
whole matter much consideration, I have come to the decision that I
cannot grant permission to you to make this film. I do not authorise
such a film and I must also withdraw any permission previously given
Lapierre said he was baffled and pained by the Mother's ''sudden
turnaround.'' He said he wrote the script for the telefilm, Mother Teresa: In
the Name of God's Poor, with her approval. The script was then
sold to a Los Angeles-based production company, Hallmark
Entertainment. The film will be aired in the United States on
October 5 on the Family Channel, the author added.
Kumar, however, said Lapierre had misrepresented facts.
"Nuns of the Missionaries of Charity in the US, who have seen
the film, felt it is inaccurate and very Hollywoodish. If Mother
Teresa had given Lapierre permission, why was the film shot in Sri
Lanka? They should have shot it in the homes of the Missionaries of
Charity. Then only would they have got the true picture," Kumar
Sister Nirmala will be Mother Teresa's successor
Mother Teresa wants to expand into China