You are here: Rediff Home » India » News » PTI
Search: The Web
   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print | Get latest news on your desktop

Firing between India, Pak troops stops, jawan's body recovered
Get news updates:What's this?
July 29, 2008 11:14 IST

The firing between Indian and Pakistani troops across the Line of Control stopped early on Tuesday after continuing for 16 hours. The body of a soldier from the Rajput Regiment, who was killed in the incident, was recovered.

The body of sepoy Mahesh, who was hit by a Pakistani bullet, was found in a ditch, defence sources said.

There were reports that four Pakistanis were killed in the Indian retaliatory fire.

Indian and Pakistani troops have agreed to hold a flag meeting to discuss the matter, sources said.

The director general of military operations of the two countries spoke to each other on Monday, in the wake of the firing incident, which violated the November 2003 ceasefire along the Line of Control.

Sources said that the Pakistani troops crossed the LoC on Monday afternoon, came to the barbed wire fence and asked the Indian troops to vacate an observation post at Khayan area of Nowgam sector of Jammu and Kashmir [Images].

This led to a war of words between the two sides and a Pakistani trooper fired at the Indian observation post indiscriminately, leading to the death of the Indian soldier, who belonged to the 22 Rajput Regiment.

A defence spokesman said that firing across the LoC continued for 16 hours.

He said that the flag meeting would be held at the level of company commanders.

On the casualties on the Pakistani side, the spokesman said, "We have not seen them (casualties on the Pak side)."

© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
 Email  |    Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

© 2008 India Limited. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Feedback