December 25, 2008 16:16 IST|
Pakistan will not act on the request for legal aid by Ajmal Amir Iman, the lone gunman captured for the Mumbai [Images] attacks, unless it is proved that he is a Pakistani national, interior ministry chief Rehman Malik has said.
"There is no question of consular access unless it is proved that Ajmal Kasab [Images] is a Pakistan national," Malik told
reporters on the sidelines of a function at the headquarters of the National Database and Registration Authority on Wednesday.
"We have thoroughly checked the registration record but have not found Ajmal Kasab's name in the NADRA database," Malik said. "Therefore we are not sure whether he is a Pakistani. How we can give him consular access without having knowledge about his nationality?"
Iman, alias Ajmal Kasab, has written a letter to the Pakistani authorities seeking legal aid and the appointment of
a lawyer to represent him. Malik had said on Tuesday that Pakistani officials were examining Iman's letter and would respond to it by Wednesday.
However, there has been no official response so far from the Pakistan government to Iman's letter. Pakistan has been insisting that India should share evidence and information to establish Iman's nationality and to take forward the probe into the Mumbai attacks.
Though Malik has contended that a scrutiny of NADRA records had not produced any information on a Pakistani
|© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.|