You are here: Rediff Home » India » News » Report
Search: The Web
   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print | Get latest news on your desktop

Ahmedabad blasts: Haywood flees India
Prasanna D Zore in Mumbai
Related Articles
Ahmedabad Blasts
Get news updates:What's this?
August 18, 2008 20:54 IST
Last Updated: August 18, 2008 21:39 IST

American mutinational company official Ken Haywood, whose computer was used to send terror e-mail minutes before the Ahmedabad [Images] blasts, has fled from India.

Haywood's advocate Gopal Hegde said he last spoke to Haywood on Friday morning. Haywood had said that he was mentally tired and wanted to take rest.

The US national, whose computer Internet connection was used to send terror e-mail minutes before Ahmedabad blasts, left the country despite a Look Out notice issued by the Mumbai police.

Haywood, who underwent lie detector and brain mapping tests, fled from the Indira Gandhi [Images] International Airport in the wee hours of Monday to the US.

Mumbai police has blamed its Delhi [Images] counterparts for the goof up as he was allowed to pass the immigration despite a Look Out notice being issued against his name, official sources said.

They said he had cleared all tests, but had been summoned by the ATS of the Mumbai police following his allegation that a senior police official had demanded a bribe from him.

He did not turn up before the ATS despite summons, they said, adding a thorough inquiry would only lead to fixing of the responsibility for the goof up.

The CEO of a multi-national company in Mumbai, Haywood was questioned several times after the Internet Protocol address of Indian Mujahideen [Images] email, sent to various media houses minutes before Ahmedabad blasts, led to his flat in Navi Mumbai.

The entire building had wireless fidelity with Haywood being one of the users. He had claimed that his connection, which was not password protected, was used by the terror group to send the email.

The Gujarat police is already on a look out for a techie, who was working with Wipro [Get Quote] company, as they claim that he could have possibly hacked his Internet connection.

Haywood said that he had no fear about his involvement in this case and was ready for any test that the Anti-Terrorism Squad wanted, Hegde said.

Hegde last met Haywood on Friday and hasn't been in touch with him as he was in his farmhouse in Panvel since Friday.

Additional Reportage: PTI

 Email  |    Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

© 2008 India Limited. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Feedback