Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > Report

I want to die for Allah: Kafeel's last e-mail

August 20, 2007 18:37 IST

More evidence has been gathered by the UK investigators against Kafeel Ahmed, who died of burns after he tried storming the Glasgow airport with an explosive-laden vehicle on June 30.

Evidence recovered pointing to the 27-year-old Bangalore-born engineers' role in June's attempted attacks in London [Images] and Glasgow includes an email message -- reportedly talked of martyrdom-- sent just before the Glasgow attempted bombing, The Guardian, London, reported quoting investigating sleuths on Monday.

Other evidence include CCTV footage from one of the failed car bombings in London showing a man, relatives say is Ahmed running away; evidence from a computer he used, showing visits to bomb-making websites; and his cellphone from the smouldering jeep.

According to the paper, Ahmed said his actions were carried out in the name of Allah. Ahmed also said his relative would be shocked to read what he was about to tell him about his involvement in terrorism, praises God, and said he wanted martyrdom.

Initial evidence points to the relative opening the e-mail at 4.50pm on Saturday, 90 minutes after Ahmed rammed the airport. From the email, the paper said quoting sources, it was clear he expected to die.

The attack on Glasgow on June 30 came a day after two car bombs failed to explode in London. On June 30, Ahmed sent a text message to a relative just after 1.30 pm which contained a link to an e-mail and a password to access it, the Guardian said.

Two hours later the engineer crashed the jeep into the terminal.

Those who have seen the e-mail regard it as Ahmed claiming responsibility for the attempted attacks on London and the one he was about to stage in Glasgow, the paper said.

The flames that engulfed the vehicle were quickly put out, allowing Ahmed's cellphone to be recovered. He is said to have used the phone to send either the text message or the e-mail to his relative.

The Guardian said the police had CCTV images that showed Ahmed running away from the scene of the first London attack, and scurrying away from a car the terrorists meant to explode.

Police also seized his computer and found evidence it had been used to browse websites on the construction of bombs and explosives. Ahmed died on August 2.

A member of Ahmed's medical team said the suspect was in a coma during his entire stay in hospital, the Guardian said.

"This was one of the worst cases of burns I have ever seen. It was very traumatic for everyone involved in his care. I was surprised he survived this long," he said.

The other man in the Jeep, Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdullah, has been charged with conspiring to set off explosions.