Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > PTI

PMO refuses data on Netaji despite RTI appeal

December 22, 2006 09:43 IST
Last Updated: December 22, 2006 13:58 IST


Related Articles
Some Netaji files may be declassified
Was 125-year-old Madhya Pradesh man Netaji?

The Prime Minister's Office has refused to furnish data on documents and records it held on the mysterious disappearance of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, saying the disclosure would harm India's relations with foreign countries.

"On verification of the classified files held by PMO, it is held that their disclosure will prejudicially affect relations with foreign countries," Joint Secretary to the Prime Minister and Appellate Authority in the PMO Sanjay Mitra told Anuj Dhar of Delhi-based Mission Netaji, who sought the list under the Right to Information Act.

The PMO's denial comes close on the heels of Chief Information Officer A N Tiwari's warning to the Union Home Ministry that it would take stern action if the ministry did not furnish the 202 documents on Netaji under its possession.

Dhar, whose organisation is on a campaign to bring out the "truth" behind Netaji's disappearance, had earlier requested PMO's Central Public Information Officer Kamal Dayani to confirm if the PMO was holding classified records on Bose, and provide a list of all such records along with the unclassified ones.

In reply, Dayani provided a list of only the unclassified files, most relating to Bose's disappearance. In keeping with the RTI procedure, Mission Netaji reported the matter to the appellate authority in the PMO, complaining that Dayani's answer was "incomplete" because it has not responded to the request for the classified files.

Dhar, a journalist who has written Back from the Dead: Inside the Subhas Bose Mystery, said he would take up the matter with the Central Information Commission.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 6




Sub: Back from death

Anybody interested to find out what exactly happened to Bose just go through Anuj Dhar's "Back from death-inside the Subhas Bose mystery"... just finished reading ...


Posted by kaustuv





Sub: PMO refuses to furnish data

PMO has no right to hide any information about Subhash Chandra Bose. We (including PM) got freedom just because of the freedom fighters like Subhash ...


Posted by Balaji S





Sub: CONGRESS DYNESTY is in Fear

It is not the PMO, it is the Congress, who have never tried to give the truth to the INDIANS. They (Congress) are the betrayers ...


Posted by Vivek





Sub: THING THAT WOULD HAVE UPSET SUBASH CHANDRE BOSE

The PMO is absolutely wrong not giving such documents. This clearly proves that most probably these documents have some information which is disturbing to the ...


Posted by SUNIL KHANDELWAL





Sub: PMO's fairy tales

What the PMO, in the vice-like grip of the Nehru Dynasty, really fears is that the revealing of Netaji's papers wil finally blow the lid ...


Posted by Jaganniwas Iyer




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.