|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
India to discuss N-separation plan with US
December 19, 2005 19:55 IST
India has prepared a plan for separation of its civilian and military nuclear facilities, which will be discussed during talks in Washington on Wednesday and Thursday between Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran and United States officials, sources said today.
The foreign secretary, who leaves for US Monday night to discuss the civilian nuclear energy programme with US administration officials, carries with him the plan for separation of the civilian and military nuclear facilities as insisted upon by the US.
The US has said India should present a "credible" plan for separation before the July 18 nuclear agreement is given a go ahead by the US Congress.
Saran, who arrives in Washington Tuesday, will have talks with Nicholas Burns, US Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs. The two are jointly heading the Nuclear Working Group formed after the signing of the agreement, to work towards its implementation.
India and the US signed a landmark deal in Washington on July 18 that would give New Delhi access to atomic technology for civilian nuclear energy. However, the deal cannot come through unless it is okayed by the US Congress.
For the deal to come through, the US has been asking India to present a "credible" plan to separate its civilian and military nuclear facilities.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Sunday he was optimistic that through constructive dialogue with the international community, India would soon be part of the mainstream with full civilian nuclear cooperation.
The prime minister's statement, coming before Saran's visit to the US, is significant as both countries have expressed commitment to implementing the agreement.
The prime minister also said in Parliament last week that the nuclear deal was proceeding on the basis of "strict reciprocity" and India was at liberty not to meet its commitments if the US administration did not fulfil its obligations.