|HOME | NEWS | THE KARGIL CRISIS | REPORT|
June 7, 1999
Pak intrusion will be 'focus of talks'
India has made it clear that Pakistan's armed intrusion and aggression in the Kargil sector would be the main topic of discussion during Pakistan Foreign Minister Sartaj Aziz's proposed visit to New Delhi.
Indian Foreign Secretary K Ragunath said, ''We see Pakistan's armed intrusion and aggression as the main issue. We expect the Pakistan government to understand that.''
''Pakistan must withdraw its armed intrusion for which it was solely responsible.''
Accusing Pakistan of violating the Line of Control, he told Star News, ''We expect these facts are understood by Islamabad.''
''Pakistan must understand that it was India which had pursued a policy of peace and dialogue to resolve its disputes with Islamabad.''
He said the armed intrusion in Kargil was a planned and well-prepared operation supported by the Pakistani authorities. He was of the view that the operation ''was being planned behind our back'' when the leaders of the two countries were meeting in Lahore earlier this year.
He did not agree with the suggestion that the Lahore initiative taken by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was a failure.
''The Lahore initiative remains intact. We shall remain fair and business-like but at the same time we will deal firmly and promptly with any effort to hurt our national security.''
He said India had made it clear to Pakistan that it had no intention to escalate the conflict.
Asked if Aziz's visit could take place before External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh's visit to Beijing later this month, Ragunath said, ''Dates are being worked out for the Pak leader's visit.''
BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS | WORLD CUP 99
EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK