The case was reported inside an aircraft at the time of landing at Chennai airport
The first case of fire in Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone inside an aircraft in India was reported, on Friday, prompting aviation regulator DGCA to summon the company officials and ban the onboard use of this series of devices of the South Korean major.
The case was reported inside an aircraft at the time of landing at Chennai airport today, but the name of the carrier could not be ascertained immediately.
With the latest incident, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has asked airlines to advise passengers to switch off their Samsung Galaxy Note phones while on-board.
The move also comes two weeks after the watchdog banned the use of Samsung Galaxy Note7 onboard an aircraft following a series of incidents of the smartphone's battery exploding in various countries. However, this is the first incident of the Samsung device catching fire onboard in India.
Sources said a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is suspected to have caught fire on an aircraft landing at Chennai airport at 0745 hours, on Friday.
The crew had to use fire extinguisher to put off the smoke and following the incident, the DGCA has called Samsung officials to meet on September 26, sources added.
Image: A charred Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Photograph, courtesy: Ariel Gonzalez/YouTube