Ramapriya Suresh shows you how to make the classic meat dish.
Photograph and video: Vignesh S Moopanar/Ammu's Kitchen
This traditional recipe can be made dry or in semi-gravy form.
Watch the video to see how you can make it at home:
- 500 gm mutton
- 50 gm ginger
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coconut
- A few mint leaves
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chillies
- 1 dalchini
- 2-3 cardamom
- 3 to 4 cloves
- red chilli powder
- Few peppercorns
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp rock salt
- Grind coriander, ginger, garlic, coconut, dalchini, peppercorns, green chillies, mint to a fine paste.
- Marinate mutton with turmeric, rock salt and prepared paste.
- Mix well and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker, add oil. Add onions. When it turns brown, add tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder and rock salt. Mix well.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder.
- Cook till oil separates. Add marinated mutton. Mix well.
- Add one cup water. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Add chopped coriander and serve hot.
Would you like to share an interesting recipe or cooking video?
Please do send your recipe/video to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: My Recipe) along with your name, location and, of course, the recipe.