Bethica Das, who is based in Sharjah, shares the recipe for a popular kabuli channa snack from Tamil Nadu for US Vice President Kamala Harris.
"Usually served in temples, you'll also find Sundal being sold on beaches and parks in Tamil Nadu," says Bethica.
"It's an extremely simple and easy recipe. As chickpeas contain high protein, they can be relished any time of the day," she adds.
Bethica feels it works best as an evening snack along with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Photograph: Kind courtesy Bethica Das
- 1 cup kabuli channa or white chickpeas, soaked for several hours and boiled
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chilly, split in half
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- ½ tsp rai or mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal or split white gram
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- Dhania or coriander leaves, for garnish
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a kadhai or pan and add the red chillies and mustard seeds.
After the seeds stop spluttering, add the green chilly, urad dal and curry leaves.
Saute till the urad dal changes colour.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and salt.
Stir for a minute or two.
- Add the grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Give it a toss and turn off the heat.
Best enjoyed warm as a snack.
What would you like to cook for Kamala Harris?
Mail your recipes to email@example.com (subject: Recipe for Kamala) along with your NAME and the place where you LIVE.
Please don't forget to share pix of your dish. And a video too, if you have it. We'll publish the best entries on Rediff.com.