Chef Abinas Nayak uses rice and walnut in his recipe for Rice Coconut Laddoos to give this Indian sweet a special new taste.
Photograph: Kind courtesy California Walnuts
Rice Coconut Laddoo
Servings: 8-10 pieces
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ¼ to ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup grated desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp green elaichi or cardamom powder
- Pinch of black pepper powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tsp condensed milk (can be replaced with melted jaggery)
- 2 tsp ghee
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- In a heavy-bottomed pan lightly roast the walnuts.
Take off heat and cool.
Transfer into a blender and pulse.
Run the powder through a sieve to get fine walnut flour.
Measure out ¼ cup of the walnut flour for this recipe.
- Place the same pan over low-medium heat.
Add the rice flour, walnut flour and the desiccated coconut.
Roast it lightly.
Add the condensed milk, cardamom powder and black pepper powder.
Add the ghee and mix well.
Lightly cook on slow heat till it has the consistency of dough.
Add the chopped walnuts, stir and take off heat.
Let it cool a little before rolling into laddoos using your hands.
Store in an air-tight container.
Chef Abinas Nayak is the winner of MasterChef India Season 6.