A delicious breakfast or snack recipe, that uses either egg or paneer, by Chef Aditi Handa of The Baker's Dozen, for those of you who always have a packet of bread on the kitchen counter in your home.
Photograph: Kind courtesy The Baker's Dozen
Egg or Cottage Cheese Bruschetta
Servings: 4-5 slices
- A few slices of four-grain or wheat sourdough bread
- 4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 1 egg, uncooked, or substitute with 100 gm homemade or store-bought paneer or cottage cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- ½ tsp chopped and deseeded green chilly
- 1 tbsp chopped and deseeded tomato
- 1 tsp chopped green dhania or fresh coriander or cilantro leaves
- ¼ tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- Pinch of haldi or turmeric
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp salt or as per taste
- Chilly flakes and oregano flakes for the garnish, optional
- Slices of red bell pepper or capsicum and basil leaves for garnish, optional&
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat.
Add the cumin seeds, green chilly, onion and saute until the raw smell disappears.
Add the turmeric, tomatoes and saute on high heat until the tomatoes soften.
Add the fresh coriander and salt.
Then crack the egg into the pan and stir to make a dryish scramble.
If using paneer, instead of egg, add the cubes and stir until it is well-coated with the masala.
- To assemble, line the slices of bread with lettuce leaves.
Spread the filling on top.
- Garnish with chilly flakes, oregano, basil leaves and the red capsicum slices.