Sangita Agrawal's nourishing, tangy, vibrant Dhaniya Aur Tamatar Ka Shorba can be served at lunch or supper, and paired with homemade Pita Bread.
Photograph: Kind courtesy Sangita Agrawal
Dhaniya Aur Tamatar Ka Shorba
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes, cubed
- 2-inch piece ginger
- 4-6 pods garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped green dhania or coriander or cilantro
- 2 tej patta or bay leaves
- 2 green elaichi or cardamom
- 1 badi elaichi or black cardamom
- 2 long or cloves
- 1-inch piece dal chini or cinnamom
- 1 badiyan or star anise
- 1 dry red chilly
- ½ tsp jeera or cumin
- 1 tsp saunf or fennel seeds
- 1 tsp besan or gram flour, optional
- ½ tsp sugar, optional
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup water + extra to adjust consistency
- Salt to taste
For the tempering and serving
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- Pinch crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp chopped green dhania or coriander or cilantro
- In a pressure cooker, heat the 1 tsp oil.
Add the garlic, jeera, saunf, tej patta, green caradamom, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, red chilly.
Saute till fragrant.
Add the tomatoes, ginger, chopped coriander, besan.
Saute for a minute.
Add the water, mix and cover.
Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
Take off heat and wait for the pressure release.
- Transfer the contents into a mixer/blender and grind to a smooth puree.
Sieve/train the mixture and transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add the sugar, salt and boil 2-3 minutes.
Adjust the consistency and add water if required.
Take off heat and set aside.
For the tempering or tadka
- Heat the ghee in a small pan and add the cumin and fry for a few seconds.
Add half of the chopped coriander leaves and stir.
Add this tadka to the soup.
- Season the soup with the crushed peppercorns and add the remaining chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
Sangita Agrawal lives in Mumbai and publishes the food blog Bliss of Cooking.
Do you have any recipes to share? Please mail your recipe/s to firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT: RECIPE) with photographs/videos of the recipe, your name, location and a photograph of yours.