Begin your day on the right note with Chef Deepak Shirur's exciting muesli recipes.
Pair your Muesli and Chia Parfait with fresh fruits and honey or maple syrup for a tasty morning treat.
The Traditional Bircher Muesli, which combines apple and lemon juice with milk and yogurt, makes for a healthy, satisfying breakfast.
Photographs: Kind courtesy Bagrry's India
Muesli and Chia Parfait
Servings: 8 small glasses
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chia, easily available in gourmet food stores or online
- ½ cup fresh fruits
- 1 cup muesli, preferably sugar free
- 2 tbsp jam or any berry compote, optional
- 8 small glasses, to serve
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the milk, honey or maple syrup, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract.
Stir in the chia seeds.
Cover the bowl tight or with cling film and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, add a layer of muesli, followed by a layer of the chia pudding in a glass.
Repeat the layers until the glass is almost filled to the brim.
Top with jam and then fresh fruit.
Repeat the process for the other glasses too.
Traditional Bircher Muesli
- 2 cups Swiss-style muesli
- 1¾ cup milk, dairy or a nut milk of your choice
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and grated
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1½ cup plain yogurt
- A pinch of cinnamon, optional
- A handful of chopped fruits of choice and nuts to garnish
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Honey, for garnish
- In a bowl combine the muesli, milk, apple juice and lemon juice, and let it refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, add the grated apple, honey, yogurt and cinnamon to the bowl.
Pour each serving into a glass bowl or a large glass or jar.
Top with your favourite fruits and nuts.
Garnish each with a cinnamon stick and a spoonful of honey.
Deepak Shirur is the consulting chef, Bagrry's India.