Rediff reader and food blogger Nidhi Sharma shares a chicken pie recipe for Christmas.
Do you have an interesting recipe to share? Email it to us!
Christmas is a time to celebrate, to rejoice and to indulge yourself with the choicest of sweets and savouries. Treat your family with this lip-smacking pie this year,” says Nidhi.
Here's how to make Mince Chicken Pie:
For the dough
- 3 cups flour
- 150 gm butter (cold)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp cold milk
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling
- 400 gm minced chicken
- 1 can baked beans
- 3 onions (chopped)
- 1 large capsicum (chopped)
- 6-7 dry red chillies
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic pate
- ½ cup cheese (grated)
- 2 tbsp green coriander (chopped)
For the egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp milk
To make the dough
- To make the dough, mix flour, salt, egg yolk and the cold butter. Mix using your fingers till you get a crumbly texture. Add in 1 tbsp of milk at a time to knead it and make the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts (2/3rd and 1/3rd) wrap them in separate cling films and let them refrigerate for 1 hour.
To make chilli sauce
- To make the chilli sauce, boil 1 cup of water and add the red chillies. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the chillies stay in the hot water for 20-25 minutes. After 20-25 minutes, put the chillies in the blender with 2 tbsp of olive oil and blend it for 2 minutes to get a smooth paste.
To make the filling
- To make the filling, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the chopped onions and capsicum. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced chicken and baked beans and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chilli sauce. Stir well and add the salt, sugar, red chilli powder and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and cook it for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- After 5-7 minutes, add the whisked egg and cheese. Mix well so that everything is well coated.
- Add 2 tbsp of chopped green coriander. Turn off the flame and let the filling cool.
To make the pie
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C and grease your pie dish with butter.
- Put the bigger piece of dough in between 2 sheets of cling film. Roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Take off the top cling film and transfer the rolled dough to the baking dish (top side down). Press the dough in firmly around the edges and remove the other cling film.
- Cut off the excess from the sides and put the filling over the dough base.
To make the lattice pattern
- To make the lattice pattern, roll out the other piece of dough in a similar fashion and cut out long strips.
- Lay 5 strips of dough over the filling, leaving ¾-1 inch gap between each.
- Roll back the 1st, 3rd and 5th strips.
- Place a strip horizontally and roll out the vertical pieces from over it and into place.
- Roll back the 2nd and 4th strip.
- Add another strip horizontally (leaving a gap of 3/4th – 1 inch between the first) and repeat this pattern till you reach the top of the pie.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg yolk and milk.
- To make the braided pattern, apply a bit of the egg wash on three strips of dough and join the ends.
- Apply egg wash around the edge of the pie and start braiding the three strips around the pie.
- When you reach the end of the strips, apply some egg wash at the end of the strip and join three more strips. Continue to braid till you circle the pie with the braided strip. Seal the braid with the egg wash. Press it gently to ensure it is joined in place.
- I used some fondant cutters to cut out leaves and flowers from the left over dough. You can skip this if you like.
To bake the pie
- Use a silicon brush to apply a generous coat of egg wash on the dough strips. Make sure you cover the entire lattice weave well.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 C for 35-40 minutes.
- After the pie has baked, let it cool for at least 15-20 minutes before removing it from the pie dish.
- Serve it with a side of roast potatoes and coleslaw.
Photo Courtesy: soulandspicebox
What's your favourite Christmas recipe? Tell us!
Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Xmas recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.
- How to make Roast Chicken
- Irresistible Recipes: Sugar Cookies and Plum Cake
- Xmas recipe: Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake
- Desi dessert for Christmas: Paal Kozhukattai
- Xmas recipe: How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas recipe: How to make a black forest cake
- Christmas Special: Indian dessert recipes with a twist!
- DON'T MISS: Xmas recipes from India's first MasterChef!