Richa Vardhan, 30, from Mumbai shares her recipe for aloo tikki chaat.
Aloo Tikki Chaat (serves for 4-5)
- 8-10 boiled potatoes and mashed smoothly
- 1½ cup white peas, washed and soaked overnight
- 1 tsp cumin and methi seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cup curd (whisked with ½ tsp salt)
- 1 cup sweet tamarind chutney (Soak tamarind for 20 mins, strain and boil till it becomes thick. Add jaggery powder, salt, jeera powder and red chilli powder.)
- ½ cup green chutney
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium radish, grated
- Thin bhujiya sev
- Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Mash the boiled potatoes. Add some salt, cumin powder, black salt, red chilli powder, chaat masala and 4-5 drops of mustard oil. Mix well and make balls. Flatten and fry on a tawa till golden brown.
For the ragda:
- Heat remaining mustard oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin and methi seeds. Let it crackle. Add white peas mix and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander and turmeric powder, 2 cups water, salt, and keep for 2-3 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure gets released, check if the gravy is too thick. You can add warm water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Put tikkis on a plate. Pour ragda over it. Top up with curd, tamarind chutney and green chutney. Sprinkle a little spice powder. Garnish with carrots, radish, sev and coriander leaves.