Thanksgiving is here! If you'd like to celebrate the day with something special, Vibhav Verma, Executive Chef, Grand Mercure Bangalore has two popular recipes to share with you.
Dry fruits for the stuffing:
- 100 gm prunes
- 100 gm apricot
- 50 gm pistachio
- 1 kg chicken
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Thyme for flavoring
For the turkey marination:
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp HP sauce
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whole turkey, giblets removed, washed and dried
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Mix the Dijon mustard, HP sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, 1 tbsp salt and 1½ tsp black pepper in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some of the spice rub inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Separate the skin from the breast meat with your fingers,
- Massage some of the rub onto the meat under the skin and then stuff with chicken and dry fruits mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining rub on the turkey's skin. Place the turkey on a sheet tray and cover with silver foil. Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours so the flavors get immersed.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wing tips under. Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Drizzle the outside of the turkey with a few tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roast the turkey about 3 hours for 120°degrees. Transfer the turkey to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.\
For the crust:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 150 gm all-purpose flour
- 40 gm sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 1 leaf gelatin
- 400 gm fresh cranberries
- 100 gm castor sugar
- 50 gm orange marmalade
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 100 gm cream
- Candied orange zest
For the crust:
- Mix butter and vanilla in a bowl. Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Roll out the crust dough and line the tart shell with the dough. Refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake crust until golden brown for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
For the filling and assembly:
- Place 1/3 cup of cold water in a bowl; sprinkle gelatin on the top. Combine cranberries, sugar, marmalade and orange zest in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly and the cranberries have softened and some have burst, for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in the gelatin mixture and cool for 2 hours. Spread the mixture on the crust. Cover and refrigerate until set, for at least 2 hours.
- Whisk cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Serve tart with whipped cream and orange zest (optional).