Reshma Aslam fishes these two recipes out of (what we imagine) must be her very thick recipe book! :-)
1. Fish Cutlets
- 1/2 kg fish (any good flesh fish like surmai, rawas, pomfret)
- 1 large onion cut into half
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 4 to 5 green chillies finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 2 bread slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Cut, clean and wash the fish very well.
- Boil a large onion cut into half in 1/2 cup water; add the fish and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Cool and separate the fish from the bones.
- Add chopped onions, chillies, coriander, lemon juice, pepper powder, eggs to the boiled fish and mix well.
- Take the bread slices and soak them in half cup of water, squeeze them lightly and add to the fish mixture.
- Mix well and roll into small balls.
- Roll them in a plate that has the bread crumbs and fry these cutlets till they turn golden brown.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
2. Spicy Fish Curry
- 1/2 kg grams fish (halwa, pomfret, rawas, surmai or large prawns), cut into pieces
- 1/2 coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 garlic flakes
- 10 gm tamarind (boiled in half cup of water and then blended in mixie till pulp is formed)
- 4 to 5 green chillis, slit from between and cut into halves
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 piece ginger finely chopped
- 6 red kashmiri chillis
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Few pieces of kokum
- Juice of one lemon
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Marinate the fish pieces in salt and lemon juice.
- Grind grated coconut, Kashmiri chillies, cumin seeds and garlic flakes into a smooth paste.
- In a bowl mix chopped onions, chopped ginger, green chillies and tamarind and mash them.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When they start to pop lower the flame and add the coconut masala mix.
- Add some water and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the onion masala and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- Add the fish and cook for 15 minutes.
- Do not cover the lid of the curry at any stage of cooking.
- Serve with boiled rice.
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to email@example.com (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.
Photographs: Shaminap/Creative Commons; Seena.ge/Creative Commons