Rediff.com's Hitesh Harisinghani shares a recipe he learned from his mother. You can share your cooking tips and videos too!
Photograph and video: Hitesh Harisinghani/Rediff.com
My mother would make this recipe quite often while I was growing up.
Since improving my cooking skills is one of my agendas in this ongoing lockdown, I decided to give it a shot.
It turned out to be delicious but I missed the quintessential 'maa ka pyaar'.
Watch this video to see how to make Aloo Palak:
- 1 large potato
- 400 gm spinach
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 5-6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cube of butter
- 2 tbsp oil
For fried Aloo
- Add salt, red chilli powder and cornflour to the diced potato.
- Deep fry them till golden brown. Keep them aside
- Blanch the palak in hot water for 2-3 mins
- Remove the palak and add them to ice cold water.
To make Aloo Palak
- Blend the palak. Keep it aside.
- In a Kadai, add 2 tbsp oil and butter
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add garlic and onions.
- Add ginger and green chillies. Saute for 4-5 mins
- Add tomatoes and saute for 3-4 mins.
- Add the blended palak.
- Add half cup water and salt.
- Add red chilli powder and coriander powder. Allow this to boil.
- Add fried potatoes and mix well.
- Serve hot with chapati or steamed rice.