Food blogger and Rediff reader Meera S shares this recipe of Kaju ni Puri.
Kaju ni Puri - (18 pieces)
Butterless, Flourless Cashew Cookies
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews, powdered
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 cardamoms, peeled & powdered
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads
- 3 tbsp milk (use as needed)
1. Preheat oven 350 F
2. Powder the cashews without turning them into butter.
3. Take the cashew powder in a deep, big plate. Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron threads. Using milk as needed - just a spoonful at a time, knead to a dough.
4. Make 18 or so balls. Flatten them with your hand like small puries as shown below
5. Bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
6. Let the cookies cool down. Store in an airtight container.
1. Since cashews or all nuts have oil, it helps to bind the dough. So use milk very carefully.
2. Use a nonstick aluminum foil for baking.
3. Depending on the size of the puris, the count will vary. I got 18 puris or cookies from this recipe. Remember to make small puris as they expand after baking.
4. You can crush the cardamom seeds coarsely instead of powdering.
Image courtesy: Meera S
- Diwali delight: Ashoka Halwa, a Thanjavur speciality
- Droolworthy! Coconut Banana Malpua recipe
- Kaju masala: Munch on this healthy Diwali snack
- Baked Chakli Puris: Guilt-free, healthy Diwali snack
- Make Nankhatai in 30 minutes
- Punjabi Matthis to go with your evening tea
- How to make Khus Khus Badam Halwa
- Melt-in-your-mouth Gulab Jamuns
- How to make Mango Halwa
- How to make Coconut Laddoos
- How to make Rajasthani Ghevar
- How to make Mohanthal
- How to make Doda Barfi
- How to make Shahi Tukda
- How to make Kashi Halwa
- How to make Beetroot Coconut Barfi
- How to make Chocolate Marshmallow Pops
- How to make Malai Laddoos
- How to make Besan Rava Laddoo
- How to make Motichoor Ladoos
- How to make Milk Kalakand
- How to make Zucchini Coconut Laddoos
- How to make Gulab Halwa
- How to make Paan Shots
- How to make Chocolate Fudge