The holy month of Ramzan is here and Reshma Aslam is sharing her favourite recipes with us.
You too can contribute to this series!
Here's how to make Saucy Chicken Drumsticks:
- 6 pieces chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp curd
- Pinch of red food colour
- 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- 50 gms butter
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp cashew powder
- 2 tbsp hot and sweet sauce
To make tomato puree
- Take 4 large tomatoes and boil them in 3 cups of water for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Let it cool and then grind to a thick paste without adding any water.
- Tomato puree is ready.
To make hot and sweet sauce
- Mix 1 tbsp chilli sauce and 1 tbsp tomato sauce.
- Hot and sweet sauce is ready.
Method for Saucy Chicken Drumsticks
- Wash the chicken pieces, drain and cut horizontal slit across each piece. Keep in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, curd, tomato puree and red food colour.
- Mix well and keep aside for 4 to 5 hours for marination.
- In a separate pan, heat butter on slow flame.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and jeera. Fry it for a minute.
- Add cashew paste. Add a few drops of water, so it does not stick or burn.
- Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add hot and sweet sauce. Mix well.
- Add a little chopped coriander leaves. Keep this gravy aside.
- In a vessel, put the marinated chicken pieces and cook on low flame for about 30 minutes till water evaporates. (I cook it in a pressure cooker for two whistles).
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the gravy. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cashew nuts and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with schezwan sauce or any other sauce of choice.
Photograph: Y Phan-Thien/Creative Commons