Rediff reader Baishali Ghosh tells us how to make fresh mayonnaise. You can share your recipes too!
Mayonnaise is a protein-rich, thick, creamy dressing that goes well with pasta, breads and finger foods.
Here's how you can make it at home:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard paste
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper as per taste
- 1/2 tsp powdered sugar
- In a bowl, add egg yolks, lemon juice, dijon mustard, whole grain mustard paste, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Whisk vigorously to combine the ingredients into creamy consistency.
- Add oil slowly, little by little and keep whisking the mixture. Ensure that the ingredients mix well with existing oil before adding more oil.
- Once all the oil has been poured and whisked, the mixture will thicken and will resist further beating or whisking.
- Your mayonnaise is ready to be served.
Note: You may refrigerate and consume this mayonnaise for up to three days.
Image: Baishali Ghosh
Do you have interesting summer recipes to share? Write in to us at email@example.com (subject: Summer Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible.
We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.