Rediff reader Charulatha Rao shares a healthy breakfast recipe with us. You can share yours too!
Kodo millet is a nutritious grain and a good substitute to rice or wheat, says Charulatha Rao.
Here's the recipe of Kodo Millet Idli:
Serves: 3 to 4 persons
- 1 and 1/2 cup kodo millet
- 4 tbsp thick poha
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 1 tsp methi (fenugreek) seeds
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil for greasing idli moulds
- Wash and soak kodo millet and poha in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal and methi seeds separately for 4 to 5 hours.
- Grind soaked urad dal and methi seeds by adding little water till it becomes light and fluffy. Keep aside.
- Grind soaked kodo millet and poha as well. Mix with urad dal batter. Ensure that the consistency of batter is that of regular idli batter.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Allow batter to ferment overnight (for at least 8 to 10 hours).
- The resulting batter would have raised a bit in volume. Stir with a ladle.
- Grease the idli mould with little oil and pour a ladleful of batter.
- Steam or pressure cooker for about 10 to 12 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, steam without putting the whistle on the lid.
- Allow the idli steamer to cool down before removing the idlis.
- Serve soft and healthy idlis with sambaar, chutney.
- Ensure that the idli batter is not too thick or too thin consistency. It should be of medium consistency.
- You can use the same batter to make dosas. Add little water to the batter to be in a pouring consistency.
- Adding methi seeds and poha makes the idlis softer.
- Do not grind the kodo millet and urad dal together, as the idlis will not be soft and spongy.
Photograph: Charulatha Rao
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.
>Click here for more recipes and food features!