Food blogger Priya Shiva shares an interesting way to make eggless fruity cakes at home. You can share your recipes too!
Rediff reader Priya Shiva says she learned this traditional cake recipe from her aunt.
To make this cake, she says, you can soak the nuts, fruits and raisins in rum for as long as four months or even a year.
Here she shares a rather easier way to make a medium size Eggless Fruity Cake at home.
For the filling
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp tutti frutti or candied fruits
- 1 tbsp broken cashews
- 1 tbsp broken walnuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dates (seedless)
For the cake
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil ( I used oilve oil)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp orange zest
To prepare the filling
- Soak mix of candied fruits or tutti frutti, raisins, broken cashews, chopped dates, broken walnuts in rum for minimum 24 hours in a glass jar.
- Allow the dried fruits to soak as long as possible. Longer they are soaked, the cake will be more flavourful and richer in taste.
- Keep it in a cool place and in air-tight container.
- Leave enough space for the raisins will puff up when you soak them.
- Shake the jar every 5 to 6 hours so that all dry fruits get soaked evenly.
To make the cake
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C.
- Sift wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder twice together and keep it aside.
- Add sugar, oil in a bowl and mix it well until sugar completely dissolves. Add yoghurt and blend it well.
- Add flour mix slowly and blend it well. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Add powdered cinnamon, cardamom powder, orange zest, vanilla essence and give a quick stir.
- Add rum and soaked nuts, fruits and raisins and mix well.
- Grease the cake tin with some oil evenly and add the batter to it.
- Bake at 180 C for 70 minutes. Check after 70 minutes by inserting a toothpick at the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, then your cake is done or else continue baking for more time and keep a watch on it. My cake took 75 minutes to get a even brown coloured crust.
- Once it has cooled down, invert it on a wire rack and let it cool down completely.
This is a soft, crumbly cake and you will love the different flavours in it.
This cake tastes even better as it ages.
You can splash some more rum on top once you take out the cake from the oven and let it age for few days before you slice it.
- Cut the cake only after it has completely cooled down.
- Use a minimum 6x2 inch or 7x2 inch round/square pan.
- Scrape peel of an orange to prepare orange zest.
Photo Courtesy: priyakitchenette.blogspot.in
Loved this recipe? Click here for more interesting recipes and food features!