It is hard to resist this mouthwatering sweet dish.
The Doodhi Halwa, made with grated bottle gourd (Lauki), is a delicious way to end a meal.
- 1 kg doodhi/ lauki (peeled and grated)
- 4 cups milk
- 250 gm sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 cup almonds (blanched and sliced)
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- 1 tsp ground elaichi
- 1 nutmeg (grated)
- In a wide bottomed pan, cook doodhi, milk and sugar on low-medium flame for about an hour, stirring constantly.
- Add rosewater and half the almonds.
- Add ghee. Mix well.
- Garnish with remaining almonds and elaichi powder.
- Allow it to cool and refrigerate it.
- Serve in small bowls.
Photograph Courtesy: Harsha K R/Wikimedia Commons
ALSO SEE: Recipe: How to make Badaam Pak
Liked this recipe? Click here for more recipes and food features!
Do you have an interesting festive recipe to share?
Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'Festive recipes') with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.