Apple Pie is one of those dessert staples that works beautifully during any Thanksgiving meal.
Bandu Ugalmugale, Sous Chef, Four Points by Sheraton, Vashi shares his special recipe.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg white
- In a small bowl, combine (brown and regular) sugar, flour and spices. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture and dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the crust.
- Beat egg white until foamy and brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, for 20-25 minutes or longer. Cool on a wire rack homemade pie.