Chennai-based food blogger and Rediff reader Vidya Srinivasan shares an interesting recipe with us.
Cracked wheat is an excellent ingredient for breakfast.
Rich in fibre and nutrients, there's a host of recipes you can try using this ingredient.
Here's a healthy twist of Rava Idli using cracked wheat.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup fine ground cracked wheat
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- 1 carrot chopped/grated
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp heaped baking Soda/Eno salt (I used baking soda)
- Salt as needed
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dhal
- 1/2 tsp chana dhal
- Cashew nuts as required
- 1/2 tsp oil to grease
- Heat a pan and add some oil.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. Let them splutter. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil and cashew. Roast them till golden brown and set aside.
- Add cracked wheat to the pan and saute for a minute, and let it cool.
- Pulse them in a blender till they are finely ground.
- Add yoghurt, salt, carrot, tempered stuff and baking soda to the cracked wheat powder and mix well.
- Add water to get the desired idli batter consistency. Allow it to set for 10 minutes
- Set the idli steamer ready and grease the idli mould with oil.
- Pour a ladle full of batter in each pit and cook for 15 minutes or until done.
- Serve hot with any chutney or sambaar.
Do you have an healthy food recipe that you'd like to share with us?
Simply write in to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'Healthy recipes') with your name and home-town, along with a photograph of the dish.
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.
Love food? More recipes and food features here!