Treat your taste buds to thalipeeth, a savoury multi-grain pancake, or a delicious chocolate puran poli this weekend.
Photograph: Courtesy Satyajit Dhawale/Wikimedia Commons
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bajra flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup besan
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Oil as required
- Mix the flours and roast lightly in a pan or a griddle. Add chilli powder, salt, haldi, dhania and jeera powder.
- Knead to a firm dough with the water. Roll into thin rotis and cook over a tawa (griddle), smearing oil on both sides, till crisp. Serve hot.
Chocolate Puran Poli
- 1 cup chana dal, washed
- ½ cup edible chocolate (you can use Cadbury silk or Morde chocolate)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg, grated
For making dough:
- 2 cups maida
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup water
- Take chana dal in a pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook it for about a minute (3 to 4 whistles).
- Drain the water and mash it coarsely. Now in a pressure cooker pour the mashed dal and add sugar. Mix it thoroughly and cook slowly.
- Add cardamom powder along with grated nutmeg to it and mix thoroughly. Continue stirring on low flame until it gets dry. Let the mixture cool down
For the dough:
- Take maida in a bowl. Add salt and ghee. Mix well. Add sufficient amount of water and make a semi-soft dough.
- Wrap the bowl with a plastic sheet or damp cloth and leave it for 30 minutes.
To prepare the puran poli:
- Make flat balls out of the dough like you make for chapattis. Dust it using maida and roll it in a round shape with a roller. Stuff the puran with scrapped/small pieces of chocolate and then cover the edges. Roll it out again in a round shape. Heat tawa on a slow flame and cook the puran poli on both sides with lots of ghee. The puran poli is ready to eat. Serve it hot with some more ghee or butter or pour rich chocolate sauce on top.
Merajuddin Ansari is the executive chef at Four Points by Sheraton Navi Mumbai.