On Ganesh Chaturthi, welcome the elephant god with this traditional, easy-to-make recipe.
Photographs: Vadani Kaval Gheta/Creative Commons
Here's how to make Puran Poli:
- 2 cups chana dal (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups grated jaggery
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup water
- A pinch of salt
For the filling
- Pressure chana cook the dal in 2.5 cups of water for up to four whistles.
- Strain and grind in mixer or with the help of masher.
- Heat a pan. Add mashed channa dal and jaggery and let it cook slowly. Add cardamom and nutmeg powder.
- Stir continuously till it becomes thick and dry. Keep aside to cool.
For the cover
- In a bowl mix wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ghee, water and salt. Knead into soft dough.
- Divide it into medium sized balls.
- Roll each into small circles, the size of a puri.
- Place a small ball of the filling mixture in the centre of the puri.
- Bring the edges together to seal the filling in the centre to form a ball.
- Roll gently into a polit.
- Heat a flat pan. Place the poli, add ghee. Flip to cook both sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot with ghee.
- How to make Khoya Modak
- Ganesha recipes: Sweet Kachori, Modak, Karanji and more
- Puran, Alu Wadi and more Ganesha recipes!
- Ganpati recipes: Sundal, Mango Sooji Sheera, Tendli Bhaat
Do you have a favourite recipe you'd like to share with us?
We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.