Chef Kunal Kapur shares two festive recipes that will leave you wanting for more.
The festival of lights is almost here.
Ready for the sweets race?
Here are the recipes:
Spiced Anjeer and Honey Tart
IMAGE: Spiced Anjeer and Honey Tart.
All photographs: Kind courtesy Kunal Kapur
- 150 gm maida
- 75 gm butter
- 50 gm sugar
- 2 cups anjeer (dried figs)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder
- 250 ml cream
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 tbsp honey
- Mix maida, butter and sugar together until it attains a sandy texture.
- Sprinkle just enough water to make into a dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Take the dough out, pat some dry maida and roll out thin (approx 3 mm).
- Place the dough over tart moulds and press gently to cover the mould. Trim the sides for a neat shape.
- Prick with a toothpick or a fork. Place these moulds in a pre-heated oven at a temp of 180 degree Celsius for five to eight minutes. This is to just flash cook it. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Soak dried figs in hot water for half an hour.
- Once done, drain water completely and roughly chop the figs.
- Whisk cream, egg yolks, honey, cinnamon powder and fennel seeds powder together. Add chopped figs to it.
- Pour the mixture into the half-baked tarts and bake it at 180 degree Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Remove tarts from the oven and allow to cool completely. Serve.
Rasmalai with Irish Coffee Custard Sauce
IMAGE: Rasmalai with Irish Coffee Custard Sauce
- 8 pieces rasmalai
- 120 ml Irish coffee liquor (optional)
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 75 gm sugar
- 1 tbsp coffee powder
- 2 egg yolks
- Drain the milk out of the rasmalai.
- Pour Irish coffee liquor over it.
- Separately mix cream and milk and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat. Add sugar coffee powder.
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add one fourth cup hot milk in it and whisk it again.
- Pour the eggs gradually into the rest of the simmering milk. Cook for two to three minutes and keep whisking.
- As it thickens remove from heat. Strain.
- Cool the custard sauce. Refrigerate till the sauce is chilled.
- Pour over the rasmalai. Serve immediately.