'Tis the season to be merry, and how can one think of a Christmas meal without roast turkey. Bandu Ugalmugale, Sous Chef, Four Points by Sheraton, Vashi shares his special recipe.
- ¼ unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 kg turkey
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 whole lemon, halved
- 1 Spanish onion,
- 1 garlic head
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the zest and juice of the lemon and 1 tsp of thyme leaves to the butter mixture. Set aside.
- Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash it inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers. Pat the outside dry. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with a bunch of thyme leaves, halved lemon, quartered onion and the garlic. Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
- Roast the turkey for about 2½ hours or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
- Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 20 minutes. Serve hot.