Reader Sarina Kansal from Ambala sent us this easy-to-make caramelised pineapple phirni recipe.
What's your favourite Diwali recipe?Tell us!
Photograph: Sarina Kansal
I personally love phirni. But a twist is always what we look for. Addition of chilled pineapple chunks and caramelised sugar crunch to the creamy mixture is what makes it really delightful. This Diwali have a scoop of caramelised pineapple phirni… you can't resist and will ask for more :)," says Kansal.
- 1 Litre full cream milk
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pineapples
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder / elaichi powder
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder/ jaiphal powder
- 1 tbsp almond flakes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Wash rice and keep it aside for half an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare caramel syrup. For this take sugar and a teaspoon of water in a pan and put it on flame; let it caramelise.
- Be careful while caramelising.
- Keep half a cup of milk aside and boil the remaining milk.
- Drain the rice and grind it as fine paste using the cold milk.
- Add the grounded rice paste to the milk and stir it continuously until it turns bit thick.
- Meanwhile heat the ghee; keep aside tablespoon of pineapple chunks and roast the remaining pineapple chunks until they turn golden brown.
- Grind these roasted pineapple chunks into a thick paste.
- Add this pineapple paste and caramelised sugar to the cooking rice mixture. Stir it.
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder to the cooking phirni and put off the flame.
- Decorate with the pineapple chunks and almond flakes. Pour some more caramelised sugar on top.
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mango Halwa
- Diwali recipe: How to make Coconut Laddoos
- Diwali recipe: How to make Rajasthani Ghevar
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mohanthal
- Diwali recipe: How to make Doda Barfi
- Diwali recipe: How to make Shahi Tukda
- Diwali recipe: How to make Kashi Halwa
- Diwali recipe: How to make Beetroot Coconut Barfi
- Diwali recipe: How to make Chocolate Marshmallow Pops
- Diwali recipe: How to make Malai Laddoos
- Diwali recipe: How to make Besan Rava Laddoo
Do you have an interesting Diwali recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com.