Here's what Shrirang Joshi has to say about important points that customers must follow while using credit cards:
A number of people raise eyebrows when I say I extensively use them. Most of the people use it quiet a few times. Just because they've heard some scary stories some times.
Well, I use ICICI & Citi Bank cards most of the times as I have Savings account with them which I can operate online. Most important thing is we must keep track of the transactions.
1. Before signing the slip at the time of swipe, first check the amount entered.
2. The transactions may take max 24 to 48 hours to appear on the Online Account / Phone Banking account.
3. The various options to keep track are a. Online Service, b. Phone Banking c. ATMs
4. If your cell no changes, immediately update it with the Bank.
5. Also, never set your corporate mail id for the e-statements, as in case you leave that organization the mail id remains no more.
6. Before accepting any Special Offers, please read the rules / conditions carefully & get your doubts clarified.
7. Always discuss with the customer care officers politely. They are there to help you. Never hesitate to ask your (even silly) doubts to them.
8. Do the bigger transactions according to Billing Cycle so as to enjoy maximum credit period (interest free).
For example, if your monthly billing date is 18th & payment date is 5th of next month. Make sure you do the bigger transactions after 18th so that you get time till next to next month's 5th day. (This is just for your convenience).
9. Visa Money Transfer Service can be used if you do not hold an online account with the Bank which Credit Card. It takes 48 - 72 hours to make the payment. ICICIBank.com provides this.
10. Always keep the sms & email alert options selected.
11. If you are using Utility Bill Payments service, make sure you have selected the confirmation call's option with the Bank.
Once I had some difficult experience that using ICICI's Visa Money Transfer, my payment did not reached SBI cards within time.
A lot of followup with ICICI & SBI Cards Customer Care made it reached after a week. Meanwhile SBI charged me late fee as they did not receive the payment on time. But on my request & submission of proofs of payment dates they agreed to reverse the late fee.
Disclaimer: This is a reader-driven feature. The views expressed by the readers are their own, and not that of Rediff.com. Rediff.com has not altered the material presented here and does not endorse it in any way.
Dear reader do you have an opinion on the debit card vs credit card subject? What do you think is more convenient to use and what are the pros and cons of using each of them?
Share your experiences of using credit cards and/ or debit cards with firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will feature the best entries right here.