You are here: Rediff Home » India » Get Ahead » Money » Advisory
Search: The Web
   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print | Get latest news on your desktop

Must I be the owner to take a home loan?
Harsh Roongta
Get news updates:What's this?
January 06, 2006
Have a query regarding your home loan? Maybe we can help.

Drop us a line and our expert, Harsh Roongta, will answer it.


If the home is on my parents name, can I take a home loan and get the tax benefits?

- Rohan Verma

Only owners or co-owners are eligible for tax benefits on the repayment of a loan taken to acquire or construct a house property.

Therefore, if the property being acquired is in the name of your parents alone, you will not be eligible for any tax benefits on the loan taken to acquire the property.

I took a home loan and have been repaying the Equated Monthly Installments over the past year.

I would like to replace my name on the home with my mothers but continue paying the EMI. Can I still claim the tax benefits?

Or, can the loan be taken over by my parents?

- Shashikant 

Only owners or co-owners can claim tax benefits in respect of repayment of the loan taken to acquire the house property.

If you are neither the owner nor the co-owner of the apartment, you will not be eligible for any tax benefits on the loan repayments.

So, if you remove your name from the ownership you will not be in a position to claim the tax benefits on the loan repayments made by you.

The bank will allow your parents to take over the loan only if they determine that your parents are capable of repaying the loan out of their own income.

Also the period for repayment is likely to be reduced such that it coincides with the retirement of your parents. 

My father owns a plot of land and I, along with my brother, would like to take a loan and construct a home on it.

Can my brother and I apply for a joint loan to construct this house?

- K Krishnaprasad

Yes you can.

But your father, as the owner of the land, will have to be a co-borrower for the loan.

Also, you will be able to avail of the tax deduction on the loan repayments only if you (and your brother) are owners or co-owner of the house property.

Got a question for Harsh Roongta? Please write to us!

Note: Questions may be edited for brevity. Due to the tremendous response, all queries will not be answered.



Disclaimer: While efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in the content, or the author shall not be held responsible for any loss caused to any person whatsoever who accesses or uses or is supplied with the content (consisting of articles and information).

 Email  |    Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

© 2008 India Limited. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Feedback