Pakistan Cricket Board on Monday made it clear that it would not support embattled paceman Mohammad Asif [Images], who has again been caught in a doping scandal and faces a possible two-year ban.
Asif, who tested positive for nandrolone during the 2006 Champions Trophy but cleared by a PCB tribunal later, finds himself in another dope scandal after it was disclosed that he had failed a dope test during the Indian Premier League [Images].
Shafqat Naghmi, the Chief Operating officer of the Board, said the PCB would not be supporting Asif in fighting the current case.
"We are extremely upset and disappointed at this latest controversy and we have no intentions of supporting Asif in this case," he said.
The Cricket Board has immediately dropped Asif from the list of probables for the Champions Trophy.
"Obviously, given the present circumstances he would not be considered for the Champions Trophy preliminary squad now," Zakir Khan, a senior official said.
Sources said fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar [Images] was now most likely to make the 30 that would be named on Tuesday.
Zakir said a decision on whether B sample tests would be done would be taken in the next couple of days.
"We have been notified about the positive test result and we have told Asif about it. A decision on whether he should have a sample 'B' test taken will be taken in a couple of days," Zakir said.
Naghmi said the Board had been told by the BCCI that the test on Asif was held on May 30 during the league itself.
|© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.|