|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Sachin claims most Man of the series awards
Rajneesh Gupta | February 01, 2007 13:32 IST
Statistical Highlights, India vs West Indies, 4th ODI at Vadodara
* Rahul Dravid was involved in two century partnerships in the Indian innings -- 101-run second wicket partnership with Sourav Ganguly and 118-run third wicket partnership with Sachin Tendulkar.
Dravid thus became only the fifth Indian batsman to be involved in two century partnerships in the same innings. Other Indians to do so are: Ajay Jadeja (v Australia at Kochi in 1997-98), Sachin Tendulkar (v Australia at Dhaka in 1998-99), VVS Laxman (v West Indies at Nagpur in 2002-03 & v Australia at Brisbane in 2003-04), Yuvraj Singh (v Pakistan at Lahore in 2005-06).
* Sachin Tendulkar (100*) scored the 41st hundred of his career -- his fourth against West Indies. With this he has equaled South Africa's Herschelle Gibbs' record of scoring most hundreds against the West Indies.
* The hundred was Tendulkar's only fourth while playing in the middle-order. In fact all of the four hundreds have come at number four. The other such hundreds for Tendulkar were: 140* (off 101 balls) v Kenya at Bristol in 1999, 113 (off 102 balls) v Sri Lanka at Bristol in 2002 and 105* (off 108 balls) v England at Chester-le-Street in 2002.
* Tendulkar's hundred came off just 76 balls -- his second fastest ODI hundred. His fastest, however, still remains the 71-ball hundred against Zimbabwe at Sharjah in 1998-99 Champions Trophy final.
* This was also the second fastest hundred for India against West Indies. Virender Sehwag had reached his hundred off 75 balls at Rajkot in 2002-03.
* Tendulkar reached his hundred off the last ball of the Indian innings. By doing so he joined Ravi Shastri and VVS Laxman in completing a hundred off the last ball of the allotted overs for India. Shastri did so against Sri Lanka at Nagpur in 1990-91, while Laxman's hundred was against Australia at Brisbane in 2003-04.
* India's total of 341-3 is the highest total by any side against the West Indies. The previous highest was 338-6 by Australia at Melbourne in 2000-01 and 338-3 by India at Nagpur in the first match of this series.
* India have now posted a total of 300 or more against West Indies on four occasions. No other side has done so on more than two occasions.
* West Indies' total of 181 runs is the lowest total recorded at this ground. The previous lowest was 188-7 by Holland against New Zealand in 1995-96 World Cup.
* The victory margin of 160 runs is India's largest against West Indies, bettering the previous record margin of 102 runs in Hero Cup final at Calcutta (now Kolkata) in 1993-94.
* The defeat is West Indies' second largest in ODIs after the 209-run defeat against South Africa at Cape Town in 2003-04.
* By winning this match India also won the series 3-1. It was their fourth win in a bilateral series against West Indies. India had beaten West Indies in 1994-95 at home (4-1), in 1999 at Toronto (2-1) and in 2001-02 in West Indies (2-1)
* The Man of the match award was 53rd for Tendulkar -- his ninth against West Indies.
* The Man of the series award was 12th for Tendulkar -- more than any other player in ODI history. Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya is second with 10 such awards.
West Indies in India 2007: The Complete Coverage
Would you like to join the Cricket and Cricket Lovers Discussion Group and discuss your cricket views with other cricket freaks? Click here. Have fun!