Cronje gains support ahead of hearing
Disgraced former South African captain
Hansie Cronje seems to be gaining public support as his appeal against a
lifetime ban for his involvement in match-fixing in the high court in Pretoria approaches.
Cronje, who has become a popular motivational speaker at
events, was in action again at a function near Pretoria in aid of the
Springbok Players' Benefit Trust.
Guests, who paid up to 400 rands per head for the dinner, cheered
Cronje's name was announced. He got a standing ovation from most
house when he finished. People clamoured for his autographs at the
Cronje made only a passing reference to his role in match-fixing
that led to
an international cricketing scandal and action by the
Council and the United Cricket Board of South Africa.
"I've realised in my life that I've made some horrendous decisions
and big mistakes. But I also know that it is up to the individual to get
up, move on, and learn from your mistakes," he said. Cronje did not comment
on the high court hearing from September 26 to 28.
Early last year, Delhi Police first made public conversations
between Cronje and an Indian bookmaker in which he agreed to lose a match at
Nagpur, India during a series.
Cronje initially denied the charges with the support of the UCBSA.
He later admitted to them and other deals with bookmakers in India and
This led to the South African government establishing the King
inquiry into cricket match-fixing and other irregularities.
The commission was shut down earlier this year in a cloud of
Cronje's legal team questioned its constitutionality, but not
interim reports that resulted in the UCBSA banning Cronje from
do with the sport for life.
Cronje has appealed this decision in the high court, claiming it
effectively denying him a source of livelihood from the only thing
knows -- cricket. He wanted to work as a commentator or coach, but
so after the UCBSA reports.
Meanwhile, two of South Africa's popular broadcasting
personalities are in
another legal spat over their actions and comments in the Cronje
Darren Scott, presenter on the national television channel M-Net,
radio announcer Martin Gillingham of Cape Talk for 50,000 rands.
Gillingham allegedly told his listeners that Scott was not fit to
presenter because of his association with Cronje.
Gillingham said this was in reaction to widespread reports in July
Scott had deposited 100,000 rands into Cronje's banking accounts
being investigated. English journalist Neil Manthorp reported the
Scott said the allegations had tarnished his reputation and that
was made to Cronje for work done on a radio show that Scott was
He has promised to sue Manthorp as well.
A spokesperson for Cape Talk said the action by Scott would be
Indo-Asian News Service