rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Now Olympic boxing judges under 'fixing' shadow

Now Olympic boxing judges under 'fixing' shadow

Last updated on: August 2, 2012 11:56 IST

Now Olympic boxing judges under 'fixing' shadow

     Next

Next

Olympic judges and referees came under fire on Wednesday with one fighter accusing them of 'a fix', another successfully appealing a loss and even boxing great Lennox Lewis questioning some of their calls.

- London Olympics 2012 - Complete coverage

Iran's Ali Mazaheri cried foul when the heavyweight was disqualified after being warned three times for persistent holding against Cuban Jose Larduet Gomez despite leading by two points going into the second round.

"It was a fix. I could have got a bronze easily if it hadn't been for that," an irate Mazaheri, who walked out of the ring before the decision was officially announced, told reporters through a translator.

"In my previous fights I had done really well. It was a set up."

The International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) responded to Mazaheri's allegations in an email to Reuters, saying: "The Iranian boxer received three warnings during his bout.

"According to Rule 12.2.1 of the AIBA Technical & Competition Rules, 'only three warnings may be given to the same boxer in one contest. The third warning brings automatic disqualification'." 


Image: Ali Mazaheri of Iran (left) refuses to stand with the referee for his decision of a victory to Jose Gomez Larduet of Cuba during the Men's Heavy (91kg) boxing event on at the London Olympic Games on Wednesday
Photographs: Scott Heavey / Getty Images

     Next

Japan boxer shortchanged by referee, judges

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Two bouts earlier, Japan's bantamweight Satoshi Shimizu, trailing by seven points going into the last round against Magomed Abdulhamidov, knocked the Azerbaijani down six times, the first of which he struggled to get up from.

The judges scored the round 10-10, handing Shimizu two extra points for a warning against Abdulhamidov, who propped himself up against the top rope as the referee raised his hand in victory.

The 25-year-old fighter was helped out of the ring by his trainer and Shimizu's team appealed the outcome.

The Japanese boxer's team leader Masamori Yamane accused the referee of trying to support Abdulhamidov by attempting to fix his headgear.

Image: Satoshi Shimizu of Japan (right) in action against Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbeijan during the Men's Bantam (56kg) boxing event on Wednesday
Photographs: Scott Heavey / Getty Images

Prev     Next

'I was shocked about the result'

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

After deliberating for over an hour, AIBA said that under its rules, the referee should have given the Azerbaijani fighter "at least" three standing counts which would have resulted in the contest being stopped.

They, therefore, overturned the result, handing victory to Shimizu, who was staggered by the original decision hours earlier.

"I was shocked about the result. He fell down so many times. Why didn't I win? I don't understand," Shimizu said, adding he thought the referee should have stopped the fight with Abdulhamidov obviously groggy in the final round.

"This is the second Olympics I have attended and even in Beijing I wasn't happy about the judgement, so I don't know what to do about that. I am really not happy about that."

AIBA officials will consider on Thursday whether to sanction the referee in Shimizu's bout, the association said in a statement.


Image: Satoshi Shimizu of Japan after his defeat to Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbeijan
Photographs: Scott Heavey / Getty Images

Prev     Next

'What I'm concerned about is probably the judging'

Prev     More
Prev

More

In December last year, an AIBA-appointed investigation committee dismissed allegations that Azerbaijan was promised two boxing gold medals the London Olympics in exchange for a $10-million loan to the sport's ruling body.

In a statement released at the time, the Special Investigation Committee (SIC) said the report aired on September 23 on the British broadcaster the BBC's Newsnight programme was "groundless and unsupported by any credible evidence".

Before sitting down to commentate on the session for British radio, former world heavyweight champion Lewis said he was impressed by the talent on show but had concerns about the judging.

"What I'm concerned about is probably the judging. You never know who is going to win until the end of the fight," said Britain's Lewis, a dual citizen who won gold for Canada in 1988.


Image: Lennox Lewis
Photographs: Tim Whitby / Getty Images

Prev     More
Source:
© Copyright 2014 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.