rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Last updated on: March 18, 2014 21:10 IST

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

     Next

Next

Qatar's 2022 World Cup organising committee has denied being aware of any alleged payments by the disgraced former head of the country's soccer association to an ex-vice-president of FIFA.

Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Tuesday that a company under the control of Mohamed Bin Hammam paid $1.2 million to Jack Warner, the former president of North American soccer's governing body CONCACAF and a member of the FIFA committee which chose the 2022 World Cup hosts.

One of Warner's companies requested that payment in December 2010, the Telegraph said, two weeks after a FIFA vote selected Qatar to stage the 2022 tournament ahead of rival bidders the United States, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

- Please click NEXT to read more...


Image: Arab men sit at a shoemaker's stall with a replica of the FIFA World Cup trophy in the Souq Waqif traditional market
Photographs: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

     Next

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Qatar's organising committee has always denied any wrongdoing and on Tuesday again reiterated that its practices were above board.

"The 2022 Bid Committee strictly adhered to FIFA's bidding regulations in compliance with their code of ethics," the Committee said in a statement.

"The Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy and the individuals involved in the 2022 Bid Committee are unaware of any allegations surrounding business dealings between private individuals."

The Committee declined to comment on further questions asked by Reuters.

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner and UEFA president Michel Platini look on during the FIFA World Cup 2018 & 2022 host announcement on December 2, 2010 in Zurich, Switzerland
Photographs: Michael Regan/Getty Images
Tags:

Prev     Next

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

The Telegraph also alleged that $750,000 was paid to Warner's sons, citing documents it says indicate the various payments to Warner family members were to "offset legal and other expenses" and "professional services provided over the period 2005-2010".

It was reported in March 2013 that an FBI probe into corruption in international soccer had recruited Warner's son Daryan as a co-operating witness.

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Fans wearing traditional local dress react to play during a match at Al Gharafa Stadium
Photographs: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Opting to host the world's biggest soccer tournament in a tiny desert state where daytime summer temperatures rarely fall below 40 degrees Celsius has provoked widespread anger.

Among those opposing the decision have been Europe's leading clubs and human rights groups highlighting dire working conditions in Qatar's construction sector.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter previously admitted the governing had made a "bad mistake" over the bid processes for choosing the 2018 and 2022 World Cup venues, which were held simultaneously and led to the suspension of two Executive Committee members who attempted to sell their votes for cash.

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Trucks stand at a construction site of one of the veunes that will host World Cup matches in 2022
Photographs: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Did Qataris pay FIFA official $1.2m after World Cup bid win?

Prev     More
Prev

More

Qatari Bin Hammam, the ex-president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and a former member of FIFA's executive committee, challenged Blatter's re-election as president, but days before the 2011 vote Bin Hammam was accused of trying to bribe Caribbean officials to vote for him in a plot orchestrated by Warner.

Bin Hammam and Warner both denied wrongdoing, but Warner subsequently quit his FIFA and CONCACAF positions and Bin Hammam was banned for life from all FIFA and soccer activities.


Image: Sepp Blatter, FIFA president and Mohamed bin Hammam, ex-president of the Asian Football Confederation during a press conference at the 2002 AFC Congress
Photographs: Stanley Chou/Getty Images

Prev     More