* Born in Michigan on September 26, 1981. (Age 30)
* Turned professional in September 1995.
15 Grand Slam singles titles
* Williams is sixth on the list of female grand slam title winners.
* Is one of only five women, after Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court, Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf [ Images ], to hold all four Grand Slam titles at same time. The non-calendar year achievement in 2002-03 was dubbed the 'Serena Slam'. She beat her older sister Venus in each of the four finals.
* She also owns 13 women's Grand Slam doubles titles with Venus and has won four Olympic gold medals: Singles (2012), doubles (2000, 2008, 2012).
* At the 2009 US Open, Williams was fined $175,000 and placed on a two-year probation for unsportsmanlike behaviour in her semi-final loss to Kim Clijsters [ Images ].
* She missed the US Open in 2010 because of medical complications after cutting her foot on glass while celebrating her win at Wimbledon.
* In 2011, she underwent surgery after a life-threatening blood clot was detected on her her lung. She made the US Open final but lost to Australia's [ Images ] Sam Stosur.
* After a slow start to 2012, the 30-year-old has finished with a flurry, winning Wimbledon, the Olympics [ Images ] and the US Open.
* She became the oldest woman to win US Open since Margaret Court won her last title in 1973, aged 31.
Photograph: Al Bello/Getty Images