rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Shorts: Rooney left out of England team for World Cup qualifier

Sports Shorts: Rooney left out of England team for World Cup qualifier

Last updated on: May 25, 2017 17:43 IST

A summary of sports events and sports persons, who made news on Thursday

Wayne Rooney was earlier left out of the qualifiers against Germany, Lithuania and Slovenia

IMAGE: Wayne Rooney was earlier left out of the qualifiers against Germany, Lithuania and Slovenia. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

England's record international goal-scorer Wayne Rooney has been left out of Gareth Southgate's squad for next month's World Cup Group F qualifier against Scotland and a friendly with France.

Skipper Rooney, who has lost his place in Manchester United's first team, was also left out of the England squad earlier this year for matches against Germany and Lithuania.

Southgate named a 25-man squad which includes Tottenham Hotspur right back Kieran Trippier for the first time.

Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe, who scored on his return to the international scene against Lithuania in March, retains his place in Southgate's plans.

England face Scotland on June 10 and France on June 13.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (ManchesterCity), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham United), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Strikers: Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City). 

Siegemund out of French Open, Del Potro doubtful

Laura Siegemund

IMAGE: Laura Siegemund. Photograph: Alex Goodlett/Getty Images

Stuttgart Open champion Laura Siegemund has sustained a right knee injury and will miss next week's French Open, Germany's Fed Cup captain has said.

Siegemund was injured during her second round match against Barbora Krejcikova at the Nuremberg Cup and her Fed Cup captain Barbara Rittner told reporters she would not play at Roland Garros.

"She won't be able to play in Paris," said Rittner, who suggested the 29-year-old had suffered ligament damage.

Former US Open men's champion Juan Martin Del Potro is also a doubt for the French Open due to injuries.

"I feel pain in the shoulder and back," Del Potro told reporters after losing in the second round of the Lyon Open.

"I will go to Paris and I will take a decision soon about whether I play the French Open."

Azarenka handed Mallorca Open wildcard

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus

IMAGE: Victoria Azarenka. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

Former world number one Victoria Azarenka has been handed a wildcard into next month's Mallorca Open as she gears up for a return to Wimbledon following the birth of her son last year.

Azarenka, who won the Brisbane, Indian Wells and Miami tournaments prior to announcing her pregnancy in July 2016, is currently unranked.

"I am happy to announce that I will come back on court in Mallorca," Azarenka told reporters of the tournament that starts on June 18.

"I am very willing to play again and it will be special to do it in such an unbelievable place."

The 27-year-old Belarusian, who has won two Australian Open titles, has a protected ranking entry into the Wimbledon Championships, starting on July 3. 

Leicester, Liverpool to feature in Asia Trophy in Hong Kong

The 2016 Premier League champions LeicesterCity will join Liverpool, West Bromwich Albion and CrystalPalace for the next edition of the Asia Trophy in Hong Kong as the former British colony was named sole host of the 2017 event on Thursday.

Matches in the four-team tournament -- which has an all-Premier League lineup for the first time since the event began in 2003 -- will be played on July 19 and 22 at Hong Kong Stadium.

"We are very excited to be returning to Hong Kong this summer for the Premier League Asia Trophy," said Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore in a statement.

"We know from previous visits that fans in Hong Kong, and across the region, are passionate supporters of our clubs.

"In CrystalPalace, LeicesterCity, Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion we have a group of excellent clubs, players and managers who will give local fans a fantastic Premier League experience."

The biennial tournament is returning to Hong Kong for the first time since problems with the pitch at Hong Kong Stadium in 2013 saw the event switched to Singapore two years later. 

Source:
© Copyright 2017 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.