rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Shorts: Pistorius sent for 30 days of mental tests

Sports Shorts: Pistorius sent for 30 days of mental tests

Last updated on: May 20, 2014 11:54 IST

Sports Shorts: Pistorius sent for 30 days of mental tests

     Next

Next

South African Olympic and Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius was ordered on Tuesday to undergo a month of psychiatric tests to find out whether he was criminally responsible on the night he shot dead his girlfriend on February 14 last year.

Judge Thokozile Masipa told Pistorius he had to report to Pretoria's Weskoppies hospital, one of South Africa's top mental institutions, as an outpatient for up to 30 days, starting on May 26.

Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Oscar Pistorius breaks down during his trial at the high court in Pretoria
Photographs: Themba Hadebe/Reuters

     Next

Cole bids farewell to Chelsea

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Former England defender Ashley Cole has tweeted that his eight-year spell at Stamford Bridge is almost certainly over and he will not be playing for Chelsea next season.

Cole, who called time on his 107-cap England career earlier this month after being offered a standby spot in Roy Hodgson's squad for the World Cup, will be out of contract next month.

"I am weighing up my options for playing next season with my agent and sadly it does not look like chelsea will be one of them," the 33-year-old posted.

"Thank u Chelsea FC for making my 8 years there a pleasure to work all the staff and players, we've been through a lot, good and bad.

"And now I'll be looking for another journey in my life hope it can be like my others full of fun and of course WIN something."

Although a divisive figure in England because of some of his off-field antics and pronouncements, Cole was considered one of the best left backs in the world at his peak.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has said he would like to keep Cole for next season even though he preferred Spaniard Cesar Azpilicueta in his defence for much of the recently concluded campaign.

Cole joined Chelsea from Arsenal for 5 million pounds ($8.41 million) and William Gallas in 2006 and has won one Premier League title, four FA Cups, a Europa League as well as the 2012 Champions League with the west London club.

Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Ashley Cole of Chelsea gives a thumbs up to the fans
Photographs: Michael Steele/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Beckham group pushes Miami Bayside venue for MLS stadium

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Forced to rethink the location of a stadium for his proposed Major League Soccer team, retired England captain David Beckham is forging ahead with plans for a new site next to the Miami Heat basketball arena.

Representatives of Miami Beckham United on Monday met with the mayors of the city of Miami and Miami-Dade county and outlined plans for a stadium that would be sandwiched between two new museums and the basketball arena on Biscayne Bay.

Beckham's group has insisted on a downtown waterfront site to win approval for the Miami franchise from the board of governors of Major League Soccer, the top professional division in the United States. Beckham, who starred with Manchester United, England and Real Madrid, also played with Los Angeles Galaxy in MLS for five years until the end of 2012.

Beckham's group has agreed to finance a $250 million stadium with seating for 20,000 and to pay rent for the land.

The proposal still has to be vetted by city and county commissioners and undergo public hearings before being put to a referendum later this year.

Beckham’s initial preferred site for the stadium, an undeveloped plot of land on the port of Miami, was resisted by Royal Caribbean Cruises and others who argued the stadium could interfere with cruise and cargo operations.

Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado told reporters after Monday's meeting that the new proposal involved filling in a large boat slip creating extra park land by the bay, including a public walkway between the stadium and the water.

"I liked it because we are gaining more park land and we will make money," Regalado said.

Please click NEXT for more...


Image: David Beckham
Photographs: Larry Marano/Getty Images

Prev     Next

Conte to stay as coach of Juventus

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Antonio Conte will remain as coach of Juventus for another season, the Serie A champions said on Monday.

"Season 2014-15; coach Antonio Conte," the club said on their official Twitter account. Conte has won three successive Serie A titles with Juventus.

Conte has won three Serie A titles in as many seasons since joining Juventus from Siena in 2011 but had refused to commit himself to the club since winning this season's scudetto two weeks ago.

Juventus have won their three titles with virtually the same team but Conte is widely reported by Italian media to have told the club he wants sweeping changes for next term to help mount a serious challenge in the Champions League.

Juventus won the 2011-12 title unbeaten in Conte's first season in charge and this season they were even more emphatic, clocking up a record 102 points in 38 games to finish 17 clear of second-placed AS Roma.

Their record in Europe has been less impressive. They reached the Champions League quarter-finals in 2013 before being outclassed 4-0 on aggregate by Bayern Munich and were eliminated in the group stage this term.

They then went into the Europa League and lost to Benfica in the semi-finals.

Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Juventus' coach Antonio Conte reacts
Photographs: David Moir/Reuters

Prev     Next

Rehabbing Woods still unsure about return date

Prev     More
Prev

More

Tiger Woods is still no clearer on knowing when he will be ready to return to competitive golf after undergoing back surgery.

Speaking on the Golf Channel on the same day that he lost the world number one ranking to Australia's Adam Scott, Woods said he was still in the early stages of recovery.

"Still rehabbing. And it’s not a lot of fun, I’ll tell you that," he said on Monday.

"It’s a lot of tedious little exercises that I have to do. At least I still get to chip and putt which is nice, and that’s progressing.

"I’ve got my feel for that which is nice. But, still haven’t hit any full shots, it’s still a little bit too soon.”

Woods withdrew from the Masters in April to undergo treatment for a pinched nerve in his back that has troubled him for months.

With no timetable set for his return, the 14-time major winner is now almost certain to miss next month's US Open in North Carolina and possibly the British Open in July.

"It’s not really in my hands. I don’t know," he said.

"I’ve got to get permission from them (doctors) before I can come back. Basically still have to continue to progress.

"That’s something that with this type of injury and this type of recovery it is slow, and it is tedious. And I’ve just got to make sure I do it right.”

The 38-year-old has been increasingly plagued by injuries in recent years as the wear and tear of years on the tour are starting to take a toll.


Image: Tiger Woods of the US Team reacts
Photographs: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Prev     More