The sporting world is set to snub Oscar Pistorius from major events around the world after a court in South Africa allowed the Olympic and Paralympic star to return to international competition.
Pistorius, is accused of killing his girlfriend last month. Pistorius is awaiting trial for the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home on Valentine's Day
According to an English website, organisers of major athletics meetings now face a dilemma over whether to invite Pistorius to race, with many privately admitting they are reluctant to welcome the South African ‘Blade Runner’, Sport24 reports.
British Athletics declined to comment on the issue, but sources close to the governing body say Pistorius is unlikely to receive an invitation to run at the London Anniversary Games, to be held in the Olympic Stadium on July 27, or at the Birmingham Grand Prix on June 30, the paper said.
Pistorius is also unlikely to be welcomed back to two Diamond League meetings in the United States this year. A source claimed his gut feeling is that it would be completely unrealistic for Pistorius to get an invite to participate in these sporting events.
Athletics' governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), said they will not dictate to meeting organisers which athletes they invite to their events, but it is believed that any organisers who do invite Pistorius will risk incurring the wrath of the authorities, who fear an onslaught of negative publicity for the sport.
According to South African Press Association (SAPA), Pistorius could face a life sentence if convicted of murder, the paper reported.
Pistorius claims that he mistook his girlfriend for a burglar when he opened fire through a closed bathroom door at his home in a gated community in Pretoria and he is next due in court on June 4, and his trial is likely to take place before the end of the year.