rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Kyrgios banned for Shanghai outburst

Kyrgios banned for Shanghai outburst

Last updated on: October 17, 2016 14:58 IST

Tennis 'bad boy' Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the governing body for men's tennis (ATP) said on Monday.

Nick Kyrgios of Australia

"The suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist..." the ATP said in a statement.

Kyrgios has also been slapped with an additional $25,000 fine for "conduct contrary to the integrity of the game", it added.

The talented yet temperamental Australian was beaten 6-3, 6-1 by Mischa Zverev in a second-round match in which he put in a series of half-hearted serves and appeared to be walking off court before the unseeded German had returned the ball to him.

Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court. He was fined $16,500 by the ATP on Thursday.

The 21-year-old released a statement on Monday apologising for his behaviour.

"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said.

"I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."

Image: Nick Kyrgios

Photograph: Alex Goodlett/Getty Images

Source:
© Copyright 2016 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.