World number two Rafael Nadal denied on Wednesday a claim from his coach and uncle Toni Nadal that he had a potentially career-threatening foot injury.
"This injury hasn't stopped me competing at the top level for over two years. The story that has come out is totally false," Nadal, flanked by Toni Nadal, told Spanish state television.
In an interview published in Wednesday's Diario de Mallorca, Toni Nadal said the injury dating back to 2005 was a serious problem that could have long-term consequences.
"Rafael's career is not in danger. You can see that from the fact that he has just had his best year yet," Rafael Nadal's media manager Benito Perez-Barbadillo told Reuters.
"He sustained an injury to his left foot in 2005 which was treated then. He sometimes has a little pain with it that comes and goes, but every player plays with a little pain.
"This year he has played the second highest number of matches of anyone on the tour and achieved his highest ever points total. It isn't career-threatening."
In his newspaper interview, Toni Nadal said: "Rafael's been affected by an injury to his foot since 2005. He has to learn how to live with it and so far he has managed for two years."
"It's very serious. I don't know (if it's career-threatening). I'll let the doctor reply to that. He has to take a lot of precautions when he plays."
"We are pleased with the season just finished, with the injury and everything. His play has improved and the matches have been less intense.
"Roger Federer is a fully-rounded player; Rafael has a different style. The key factor has been to shorten the length of matches and we have achieved that.
"His problem is that he has to play to maintain his physical tone and fitness levels. There's no other way to do it than by competing."
The 21-year-old won six major tournaments in 2007 including his third French Open title at Roland Garros.