The Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games is fine with Queen Elizabeth II skipping the event in October and is ready to welcome Prince Charles as a representative of the royal family, OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi said on Sunday.
After a spokesperson for the Buckingham Palace earlier on Sunday said that the Queen has a tight autumn schedule and cannot attend the October 3 to 14 Games, Kalmadi said the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee had prior knowledge of this development.
Talking to PTI from Pune, Kalmadi said, "Yes, the Queen has confirmed it to us that Prince Charles will be coming as her representative. We are alright with it.
"The Queen had attended the Baton Relay Ceremony at Buckingham palace and this time she is sending the Prince," Kalmadi said.
"Also Prince Edwards, the Earl of Wessex, will be coming as vice patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation. Charles would represent the Queen and it's okay," Kalmadi, also the President of the Indian Olympic Association, said.
It will be for the first time in 44 years that the Queen will miss the Commonwealth Games.