Italy will make a bid to host Euro 2016, Italian football federation (FIGC) president Giancarlo Abete said on Monday.
"Italy will present its declaration of interest for the 2016 European championships by [the deadline of] March 9," Abete told a news conference after a FIGC board meeting. He said the decision had been taken after recent consultations with the government.
Italy was beaten in a bid for Euro 2012 by Poland and Ukraine. The country's hooliganism problem was reported to be partly to blame.
"Italy is interested because we cannot shun the challenge of major international events and because we must start virtuous circles that give hope to our football," Abete told Rai radio earlier on Monday.
The announcement came on the day that Scotland and Wales dropped plans to co-host Euro 2016 due to the financial demands of the expanded tournament.
Euro 2012 will be the last to feature 16 teams after UEFA voted last year to expand the tournament to 24.